Monday, March 30, 2009

To Do: Graduate from College

 Chapman University  Feb 2009

Graduation from High School was somewhat anticlimactic for me. I didn't have any desire to send out announcements or have a big fancy party. I'm getting ready to graduate from Chapman and I'm finding myself conflicted on the topic.  In the past few years there have been various graduation announcements taped to my parents' fridge (they have one of those fancy looks-like-cabinetry refig faces just in case you were wondering about the tape). This accolade certainly deserves a certain level of celebration, but keep in mind that the bulk of these are NOT from close family friends, old baby sitters, etc.  These are mostly grown kids from our neighborhood in Houston (from which we moved away almost 20 years ago). There are a select few with whom we have kept in touch with over the years, but the majority just barely make the Christmas Card list each year. Who is it appropriate to send a graduation announcement to? Grandparents, relatives, Godparents... all obviously appropriate recipients. Who else makes the list? If the list is overly inclusive am I just looking for handouts? I think I'd be more comfortable with a VERY casual party. Or dinner with close friends and family. 

Just a thought. PLUS. Graduation announcements (the ones you order through the school) are so bland. Who wants to tape an ivory 3 x 5 Notecard to their fridge? 
 
What do you think? Party? Presents?