Friday, March 20, 2009

BEGINNING SEWING

I really did think it would be easy to find a 3-day sewing workshop.. even a 6 week class.. but so far, I've got nothing. Nothing at the community college, nothing in Adult Ed and not anything through the Sports and Req Department. Do people offer private lessons? and sell them on craigslist.. I should check that out.

 Taken out of context, I'm guessing the 30-sec mini rant about sewing classes makes no sense... Rewind a few days:

I offered the (particularly brilliant) idea to Tracey (my bosses wife) of starting a line (under the McKee Home label, of course) of custom toss pillows. The store sells some really cool vintage burlap and linen toss pillows that pretty much fly out the window as soon as we get them in.


Here is an internet quality picture of one of them. For integrity purposes I guess I shouldn't reveal the name of the vendor. Either way, she makes these very organic looking toss pillows in all sizes and shapes. Some with shell inspired details.. others with pearly bead crosses. 

Tracey and I figured that we could make them for relatively cheap (even using really cool textured linens, like stuff in Threads by Lee Jofa collection... or just burlap)  and buying cool beads and trims from international vendors. Only problem is using our drapery/upholstery workroom for labor is pricey. Basically we left the conversation (not likely to be revisited) "I'd really love to learn how to sew" - Me "I could keep you busy for weeks making things for the store" - Tracey



Sounds like job security to me. AND I'm really interested in creating some sort of product like that and selling it on the side. If I could learn to weld I could make a fortune collecting vintage bottles and crystals to make these cross bottles that everyone are so obsessed about. (This would be a very costly set up, so not really an option) However, sewing is definitely a life skill i'd like to posses. Currently added to my to-do list: Find a sewing class... or tutor. I'd pay someone up to $30/hour to tutor me in basic sewing. 

P.S. I'm getting a sewing machine for graduation.. it's not a new beamer.. but I'm pretty stoked about it.

No comments: